Sunday, May 14, 2006

Davos, Switzerland, 24-26 June 2005: Wanderer Fantasy
Lake, Mountains And Valleys

Davoser See at Dawn
Summer 2005, I was in Davos, my first visit to Switzerland. The weather was hotter than I had expected, but the scenery was achingly beautiful. My favourite photo is the one above of Davoserhof seen at a distance from the opposite bank of Davoser See. Seven in the morning. The village was stirring awake as the twilight-tinged gray clouds began to lift. I saw less than a handful of people during my solitary one and a half hour walk.

Pastoral BlissHiking through the valleys, one takes in the full measure of Mother Nature's bounty: azure skies, cottony clouds, distant snow-capped mountain ranges, emerald prairies, and rippling streams. Shade from adjoining hills cooled and refreshed the air. The senses bristled alive to the assault of dappled colours, cold stillness that shot up the nose, and tinkling of rushing rivulets.

JakobshornWe ascended Jakobshorn on a cable car. After which, it was a short but relatively tough climb (for me) along the spine of the mountain to the peak (slightly over 4000m above sea level). The view of the Swiss Alps from the top was breath-taking.

It was a lovely trip. I wish to return some day. Perhaps in winter next time.

Comments
Once upon a time I was there, perhaps twice. I can't remember. Nothing but the Annia's home made strawberry jam. And those white mountains.
 

Post a Comment

Home

Creative Commons License
Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License

These are the 30 countries that I have ever set foot on. Airport stopovers don't count!